0-6-0F NORTH METROPOLITAN POWER STATION CO., ‘LORD ASHFIELD’

Accession number: 10148
Acquired: 2005
Location: Display Shelter
Built: 1931, Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co.,
Kilmarnock
Works No.: 1989

Background Information

This is an example of Barclay’s ‘simplified’ fireless design of locomotive.

The pressure vessel which replaces a boiler would be filled with a pressurised mixture of water and steam. The locomotive could then work while the water gradually flashed into useful steam as the vessel pressure fell. This arrangement, with no fire, could safely be used near refinery plants. Also, it was convenient wherever there was an available steam supply such as at a thermal power station.

The locomotive was supplied new to Brimsdown ‘A’ Power Station. Brimsdown power stations were in the London borough of Enfield, on the Lea Navigation. Electricity is still generated on the site today.

By 1975, the Central Electricity Generating Board owned the locomotive and moved to Fleetwood Power Station, Lancashire. Later, it was acquired by the Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester. The Museum donated the locomotive to SRPS in 2005. The National Fund for Acquisitions grant helped with cost of the transport.

A fireless locomotive works due to the pressure vessel binge filled with a pressurised mixture of water and steam. The locomotive could then work while the water gradually flashed into useful steam as the vessel pressure fell.