0-6-0T COLTNESS IRON COMPANY NO.1 ‘LORD ROBERTS’

Accession number: 10005
Acquired: 1968
Location: Operational
Built: 1899, Neilson Reid, Hyde Park
Works, Glasgow
Works No.: 5710

Background Information

The locomotive was sold to the Coltness Iron Co., of Newmains, Lanarkshire, in 1902. The Coltness Iron Company were coal and iron masters, who also made steel. Their iron and steel business later declined and the company concentrated on coal mining at Kingshill and Overtown in Lanarkshire. Newmains became a cement works.

The National Coal Board (NCB) bought No. 1 in 1955, along with other Coltness Iron Company assets. Allocated to NCB Central West area, it was based at Twechar, near Kilsyth, and worked at Bedlay Colliery. It was withdrawn in 1968 following breakage of a crosshead.

Donated by the NCB, the locomotive was delivered by goods train to the SRPS Falkirk Depot.