10 ton 1-plank Ballast Wagon, Great North of Scotland Railway No.1329

Accession number: 10036
Location: Museum Hall 1
Built: 1923 at Inverurie

Background Information

As a GNSR departmental vehicle, No.1329 would originally have been painted red, without company initials, because it was expected always to operate within its owner’s own system.

Although the wagon has a steel underframe, the primitive single-shoe brake is a throwback to Victorian times. The grease axleboxes were also “old technology” at the time of building. The sheet metal covers over the axleboxes are intended to protect them from stones and stone dust.