Cowlairs Co-operative teapot

Accession number: 26103
Location: Small Objects Store
Date: 1931

Background Information

Cowlairs Co-operative Society was established in 1881 in Springburn, Glasgow, in response to the exploitative practices of the North British Railway Company, which well as having a large number of employees was also the largest landlord in Springburn.

The co-operative provided an alternative to the NBR shops at fairer prices and eventually had twenty six branches, making it the largest retailer in the area. Co-operative societies also offered members a regular dividend as a reward for shopping with them. This teapot was produced to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the co-ops establishment