LOCOMOTIVES

The earliest horse drawn tramways connected coal pits to local canals or to the coast.

It was the development of the steam locomotive that made possible the operation of a railway system that connected the nation.

The steam locomotive was first developed in the north of England, and most of its essential features were known by 1829. Steam locomotives were built in Springburn, Kilmarnock, Airdrie, Leith, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness, and in smaller numbers elsewhere in Scotland.

The collection also includes locomotives used by British Railways and Scottish industry, and covers the period from 1940 to the present day. ‘Sprinters’, ‘Voyagers’ , ‘Pendolinos’, ‘Turbostars’ and others, have virtually replaced locomotive hauled trains; and offer greatly improved operational flexibility.

The locomotive collection represents both the main line and the industrial railways of Scotland. Most locomotives were built in Scotland or ran in Scotland for the majority of their working lives.

U

0-4-4T Caledonian Railway, 439 Class No. 419

U

0-6-0 North British Railway Class No.673 “Maude”

U

0-6-0T Coltness Iron Company No.1 ‘Lord Roberts’

U

0-6-0F North Metropolitan Powerstation Co., ‘Lord Ashfield’

U

Fairfield Electric Locomotive

U

Glasgow Electric ‘Blue Train’ E.M.U. Cars